"I wonder if anyone here is gonna remember me."
|iWas a Pageant Girl|
|Season 3, Episode 11|
|First Aired||January 29, 2010|
|Writer(s)||Andrew Hill Newman|
"iSaved Your Life"
During a segment of iCarly, Tara, one of Carly, Sam, and Freddie's classmates, uses her karate skills to punch a wooden board in half. Then she tells the iCarly gang that she uses her karate talents for beauty pageant in the talent competition. The two perky hosts then bring up the fact that there is an upcoming beauty pageant in Seattle and ask her if she'll be competing. Tara explains that there is no way she will win because there is a well-known beauty queen that she has competed against known as LeAnn Carter (Gilland Jones) who has won 99 pageants in a row. Hearing that, Sam angrily storms out of the iCarly studio. When Carly and Freddie question her about it, Sam admits that she's a former child beauty pageant contestant who lost to LeAnn each time. As a result, she pushes Carly to compete against her old rival, LeAnn Carter.
While Carly is preparing for the pageant, Sam finds out she is eligible to compete (after a seven-year ban for "pushing" LeAnn down a flight stairs), and enters herself supported by Carly. She does well at first with a speech about "Ending world hunger - for the children." Next is the talent competition, and Sam meets her old dancing coach, Ernie. She does a 1940's-style tap dance routine with him, and Sam ends up winning the over-all title for the pageant.
Meanwhile, Spencer and Freddie decide to go on a double date. Originally, they planned to go rock-climbing, but along with the girls, they decide to play a game called, "What Am I?" (Spoof of the well-known game, HedBandz®). Eventually, their dates leave out of frustration with how wrapped up in the game the guys were. After the pageant, Carly and Sam try to get the guys' attention, and because the guys are too wrapped up in their game, Carly reveals Freddie's card and Sam reveals Spencer's card. The two guys are annoyed and decide to start over.
- The episode that was shown instead, "iMake Sam Girlier," was shown with a series of other TV episodes featuring Jennette McCurdy: as a guest star in the new True Jackson: VP episode “True Drama,” as well reruns of Malcolm in the Middle episodes "If Boys Were Girls" and "Buseys Take a Hostage."
- Dan Schneider said in his blogs that Sam was supposed to admit having pushed Leanne down the stairs, but it was cut out so Sam wouldn´t seem too violent.
- One of the girls is from Yakima, first mentioned in iWanna Stay With Spencer.
- A pageant contestant can be heard saying her name is "Quinn Pensky." This is of course a reference to the Zoey 101 character who, in one of the episodes, (Silver Hammer Society), says she used to compete in pageants too. The voice, however, sounds nothing like the original Quinn.
- Another contestant says her name is Lisa Lillian, named after Dan Schneider´s wife (aka "Hungry Girl").
- Jennette McCurdy did all the dancing, as stated in Dan Schneider's Fun Facts on the episode.
- This episode can be seen on the iCarly DVD, " iSpace Out."
- This is the fourth time that Sam wears a dress. The previous three were in iMake Sam Girlier, iSpeed Date, and iCarly Awards.
- Lane Moorefield, who plays "Lane Alexander" on Victorious, plays Sam's dance coach.
- In this episode, it is revealed that Carly makes "special lemonade," which her friends apparently consider gross. This is a wink at another Dan Schneider show, Drake & Josh. Josh often made "limeade," which nobody liked.
- Like all of the fictional websites depicted on the series, instaboobs.com redirects the user to icarly.com.
- Sam's pink dress can be bought here.
- Some viewers asked how Freddie could want to go on a date with another girl so soon after breaking up with Carly (iSaved Your Life). Dan Schneider explained that Freddie didn't want to go out with Leslie and only did so because Spencer pushed him into it.
- In the episode iEnrage Gibby, Sam was originally scripted to tell Freddie, "Dude, you can't even get one of these," referencing Carly. The line was cut because Dan Schneider felt it was too soon after iSaved Your Life to say something like that. Curiously enough, though, "iWas A Pageant Girl" took place immediately after "iSaved Your Life," and Sam told Freddie, "No girl you have met is gonna go on a date with you!" which is a continuity error considering he had just dated Carly.
- There are two references to hobos in the episode. There is a running gag in the show referencing hobos:
- Sam's dancing teacher, Ernie, is dressed as a hobo in a talent competition for a Late Night Train wait while dancing.
- At the end, Freddie puts on a new guessing card and the card's word is hobo.
- Sam ending her question "for the children" when these words have nothing to do with her question, is a reference to Caitlin Upton's infamous Miss Teen USA Speech.
- It is clearly meant to copy the Disney Channel series That's So Raven. In the TSR episode "Raven. Sydney and the Man" Raven and Sydney compete in a pageant. And their talent act was involving a newspaper!
- In the UK, Sam's penny-tee is censored. It reads 'Yellow DanWarp'.
- On icarly.com,a photo was posted of Sam standing on her toes during her dance routine with a description that says:"Sam learned to stand on her toes because when she was little her mom used to keep the fat cakes on a shelf".
- As Carly and Sam are returning home from the pageant there is a night exterior shot of Bushwell Plaza in which the clock is moving "fast forward" and a full moon is rising. However the moon is rising in the wrong direction - a rising moon would have to travel from bottom left to top right through the shot.
- When Tara was being introduced, Freddie had the camera focused on her, then there was a camera shot of Baby Spencer Dancing. Freddie's Camera B shot is on a tripod and is pointed straight. So if there was not a second camera man, how did the shot of Baby Spencer happen?
- Sam was born in 1994 and seven years later when she was a beauty pageant for the first time was 2001. Sam was banned for seven years which means that this should have been in 2008. This episode aired in 2010.
View Gallery for this episode here.
[While playing Happy Baby,Sad Baby]
Carly: Let's see what baby thinks about...
Sam: A stick of dynamite!
Spencer: Aaaahhhhhh!!! Noooooo, dynamite make baby go BOOM!
[On the web cast.]
Carly: Do you want to break something else?
Sam: Like Freddie's arm? Freddie's leg? Freddie's face?
Freddie: Aww, Sam, if you're in love with me, just say so!
[While Sam is throwing a tantrum.]
Freddie: You know you're gonna give in...
Carly: Not this time!
[Sam screams louder.]
Freddie: In 5, 4, 3, 2... [points to Carly]
Carly: Alright, I'll be in the stupid pageant!
[Spencer copies Sam doing a tantrum because Freddie won't agree to a double-date]
Freddie: Spencer, I'm not gonna be...
Carly: (Copying Freddie from earlier.) In 5, 4, 3, 2...
Freddie: (sighs) Okay!
Sam: Well, no girl you have met is gonna go on a date with you!
[After Sam shows her mom's fake boob insertions for Carly to use.]
Carly: It's a beauty pageant, not a "booby" pageant!
[Carly and Sam just arrived at the pageant.]thumb|link=File:Jj122909-07.jpg
Sam : Ah, the smells of a beauty pageant - hairspray and desperation. I wonder if anyone here is gonna remember me.
Girl :[sees Sam, freezes in horror]: Mom? Mom!? Mom??!! Samantha Puckett!!!
[The girl and her mother run away screaming.]
Carly: I think they remember you.
[After Sam strips Carly of her dress and shoes, so Sam can appear in the pageant instead.]
Sam: I feel hot.
Carly: I feel violated!
LeAnn Carter: Do great tonight!
Sam: Don't tell me what to do!!! Carly: You said she was nauseating, she's totally nice! Sam: "Nice" nauseates me. It's taken me years just to get used to you!
Sam:[as an introduction to the jury] My name's Samantha Puckett, I'm from Seattle and I love fried chicken!!
Carly: [clapping and speaking to the person next to her] It's true! She does, she loves fried chicken! Woman: Do you have any more ribs? Carly: (Pulling two bags of ribs out of her purse) Beef or pork?
Freddie: Got to pick one or the other.
Spencer: Can I be squirted?
Spencer: Am I a waffle?
Freddie: No, you don't squirt waffles!
Spencer: Am I a fruit?
Freddie: On what planet are there squirtable fruits?!
Spencer: A planet I wanna live on!!!!
Related iCarly.com blog posts
Sam's blog: What's In My Pageant Bag?